John:14:18

I will not leave you as orphans. I will come for you...John 14:18
This is a sweet reminiscence of our adoption journey to our son.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Deciding to adopt part 1

What made you decide to adopt? I have been asked this question A LOT. The thing is it's not easy to answer. It happened fast and yet... It it's been happening for a long time.

So, I'm going to start at the beginning. About 30 something years ago there were two little girls, Marie and Lacy. Cousins who were more like sisters. They spent every second, their mommies would let them, together.

One Christmas, one of the girls, (I forget which) decided they wanted a black cabbage patch from Santa and the other followed suit. In our small town there wasn't a lot of different ethnicity and back then it was probably hard to find any kind of doll with dark skin. But Santa came through and let me tell you those dollies were well loved! The girls talked about how, one day, they would have a baby just like those dolls.

A seed had been planted.

( A little side note... Marie's favorite dolls were the Quintuplet dolls and so it's only fitting that now she has twins. Also, Lady bugs are a huge China adoption luck symbol. I laugh that years ago I had scrapped these photos  with lady bugs. That is actually a baby mouse that we found. I shudder to think now... ha )

2 comments:

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment-Lacy