John:14:18

I will not leave you as orphans. I will come for you...John 14:18
This is a sweet reminiscence of our adoption journey to our son.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Them's All My Favorites...


I was asked the other day, "Don't you have enough, children? Will you ever be done?" 

So my answer to that is this...

I had enough children with just one. I did. After Questen was born I had an over whelming sense of responsibility and love for him. I was constantly worried about keeping him safe and healthy and raising him right. I couldn't imagine loving another child the same or taking on the magnitude of double the responsibilities. and I was exhausted! That little boy didn't sleep until he was 18 months. 

In fact, I remember people asking me, "When are you going to have another?" Secretly, I would think. 

I'm Not. He's enough. He's perfect. 

Questen was 2 years old and I started thinking about how I felt to be the only child home. I have two older brothers but they were both 8 and 9 years older then me. I was pretty much an only child from 5th grade on. and I decided Questen needed a sibling.


So, in May of 2004, I started praying. Should we have another child? and now?

One Sunday, I was teaching the primary children. (Sunbeams age 3) I asked one of the little girls to give the opening prayer for class. 

"Please Bless Questen's mom and dad to have lots and lots of children"

Out of the mouth of babes right?? Anyways, Violet was born Feb of 2005.  (You do the math.)


Guess what? I loved Violet just the same as Questen! I was just as tired but not more tired. I had the same amount of unfinished Laundry but not more. 

Somehow, my heart had grown. My capabilities grew with Violet. I actually became cleaner with two kids then I had been with one. I started to really learn to cook. 

And with each child that has came into our family my heart has grown. My abilities as a mother have gotten better. I find that I get more organized with each child and I'm actually more on top of the Laundry then I was with just Questen.  Though, Laundry is still the bain of my existence! 

That's not to say, there hasn't been hard times because there has! I've definitely had months where I wasn't the best I could be but I've grown through those hard times too. 

Lately, a child hood memory keeps coming back to me.


Grandmas sweet voice was suddenly angry. "How dare she!" She said. Then repeated again! "How DARE she!"
As a young girl who'd rarely, if ever, heard her grandma angry I had to find out what grandma was so upset about. I quietly snuck around the kitchen corner past the old wood grandfather clock to take a peek at what had upset grandma.

"How dare she!" she said sitting on the edge of her pink rocker. This time she continued, "That woman said that so and so was her favorite child. Then she asked me which one of my kids was my favorite child. I told her. Them's all my favorites!"

Them's all my favorites... 

Please don't think that any of my children are not enough. They are each enough. Each of them are perfect and each of them are my favorites. (I'm writing this with a very squirmy, squishy, favorite on my lap and I'm so thankful he's here!)

Will we ever be done? I sure hope so. ;) In fact, I'm assuming new baby girl is the last, But that's between only Shane, myself and God.

In the meantime, Know that Them's all my favorites!

New pictures were added to our You caring site. You can access it here. 
https://www.youcaring.com/AddinganAtwood



2 comments:

  1. Love it! I read it out loud to my husband who loved it too. I think our two oldest may be on the same general schedule. February of 2001 and March of 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! We have especially been asked this when we announced that we were adopting again so soon. But like you said they are all enough and this isn't about them being enough, this is about what God has planned for us, some just don't understand this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment-Lacy